Helpful hints for home security
Last year on average more than 400,000 households were victims of either a break-in or attempted break-in (Australian Bureau of Statistics: Crime and Safety, Australia, April 2005). And while the chance of burglary is not high, you can spare yourself the trauma of having your personal property invaded by installing quality service devices, and exercising some practical safety measures.
Your safety checklist
There are many measures you can take to secure your home, and by getting into just a few simple habits will do a lot to deter unwanted guests:
Simple safety tips
- Always lock all outside doors and windows when you go out, even if you are going to be only 10 minutes,
- Lock your external garage or garden shed with a quality key-operated lock or padlock,
- If you go out at night, leave a few internal lights on,
- Do not leave keys hidden outside your house,
- When in the garden, upstairs or watching TV, lock up parts of the house you can’t see,
- Know whom to call. Keep a list of emergency numbers by the phone,
- Advertise your security. Place stickers for your security system where they would be seen by would-be intruders,
- Keep expensive items, such as TVs or handbags out of view from outside,
- Trim trees and shrubs around windows,
- If you have a lot of jewellery, valuable documents, cash or other negotiable items, consider installing a safe,
- Never leave notes for people telling them you are out and when you will be back.
Safeguard your home and family with these AmplimeshÂ® tipsÂ·
- Fit security grilles or security screens to all accessible windows,
- Fit key-operated two-cylinder deadlocks to external-hinged doors,
- Fit key-operated lock or patio bolts to all external sliding doors,
- Fit key-operated single cylinder window locks to accessible windows.
Is your home secure these holidays? To relax on your holiday, make sure you don’t have to worry about your home.
Holiday security checklistÂ·
- Fit approved key-operated locks on all external doors and accessible windows,
- Install automatic timers on lights and the TV, and turn down phone,
- Ask a neighbour to collect your mail, keep your lawn trimmed and park in your driveway,
- Lock away tools and ladders, and secure your wheelie bin so it can’t be used to access upper areas,
- Cancel regular deliveries, such as newspapers,
- Arrange a housesitter,
- Check your contents insurance policy is up to date.